English Communicative Grammar
1. The following passage has not been edited. There is one error in each line. Write the incorrect word and the correction in your answer sheet against the correct question number. Remember to underline the word you have supplied. Incorrect Correct Often these days we hear and speak of the conquered (eg.) conquered conquest in nature, ‘the taming of a river’, ‘the war against insects’ (a) _________ _________ and so on. Often these phrases being used without consciously (b) _________ _________ attaching any value to them, but they have an underlying attitude of hostile towards Nature and Nature’s (c) _________ _________ creatures, a viewpoint which seeming to assume (d) _________ _________ Nature as an enemy that needs to being vanquished.
(e) _________ _________ Alternatively, Nature is seen merely as the ‘resource’ to be(f) _________ _________ ‘exploited’.
2. Read the following conversation and complete the paragraph. Write the answers in your answer sheet against the correct blank numbers.
One morning while reading the paper, Raj told his wife (a)………………………………. His wife, Rita, said that she thought (b)………………………………….
. . Raj replied that (c)…………………………….. as the cashier had run away with Rs 5 million. 3. Complete the headlines by choosing the correct answers from the options given below:
a) Drive against Liquor Mafia launched
The police ______________________ engaged in smuggling of liquor to the state.
b) China develops medical robot
A polytechnic university in China ______________________ that can conduct surgeries.
4. Read the extract given below and answer the questions that follow by choosing the correct options. All pity choked with custom of fell deeds:
And Caesar’s spirit, ranging for revenge,
With Ate by his side come hot from hell
Shall in these confines with a monarch’s voice
Cry ‘Havoc’, and let slip the dogs of war;
1.Who is speaking these lines and when?
a) Brutus at Caesar’s funeral
b) Cassius at Caesar’s funeral
c) Antony before Caesar’s body
d) Antony to the Roman mob
2.How shall Caesar appear and what for?
a) as a ghost to take revenge
b) as a ghost with Ate to take revenge
c) as a ghost to announce doomsday
d) as a ghost to destroy humanity
3.Ate’ in Greek mythology is the
a) goddess of revenge
b) goddess of death
c) goddess of destruction
d) goddess of deception.
5. Answer the following questions briefly: ( 20-25 words)(1 ½ x 3 = 4 ½ Marks) i. Antony was indeed an excellent orator who ignited the spirit of revenge in the minds of the Roman people. Describe how he moulded the minds of the Roman people and turned them against the conspirators. ii. How is Brutus successful in taking Caesar to the Senate inspite of Calpurnia’s efforts to the contrary? iii. Write a note on the famous words ‘Et tu Brute!’ spoken by Caesar. 6. Though both Brutus and Antony address the public of Rome before Caesar’s funeral, there is a basic difference between the two. Bring out this contrast. Your answer should not exceed 75 words. (6 Marks)
Call of the Wild is a story about a dog forcibly taken from his home and forced to adapt to his situation during the height of the Klondike Gold Rush […]
Somewhere in the dirty city of Victorian London, Ebenezer Scrooge, the miserly main character of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, sits in the ice-cold air of his counting house in […]
“No”. That one word is often the freedom that Afghan women have had since 1978. Before reading this book in a country where a women almost became president, I knew […]
When Harry ‘Rabbit’ Angstrom returns to Brewer to seek the help of his old high school basketball coach Marty Tothero in John Updike’s ‘Rabbit Run,’ a third-person narrator establishes the […]
Walter White is a fictional character and the protagonist on a popular television show called “Breaking Bad.” He is a chemistry graduate of the California Institute of Technology and co-founded […]
“Like sweet bells jangled, out of time and harsh” Hamlet’s trust is betrayed by the people who are dearest to his heart (III.i.87). The theme of betrayal takes root before […]
Introduction Literature has been used as a tool by different authors to analyze human actions in many societies. From fiction to nonfiction books, writers use literature to explain various activities […]
The Sacred Obligation: A Call to Action of Humans and Our Environment Humans are the species that reign superior to this planet. Mankind has developed the power of our minds […]
Literary experimentation has a tendency to alienate writers of color due parameters of experimentation privileging apolitical identities and valuing the inward voice. These avant-garde literary traditions arguably favor the white, […]
1. The following passage has not been edited. There is one error in each line. Write the incorrect word and the correction in your answer sheet against the correct question […]